ANITKABIR ATATURK AND THE WAR OF Liberation Museum

ataturk museum

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the Turkish Republic, died on November 10, 1938. Atatürk’s body was brought to Sarayburnu on 19 November 1938 by being placed in a gun carriage at Dolmabahçe Palace. Naaş was first placed on the Zafer torpedo and then on the Yavuz Battleship.

The battleship Yavuz docked at the Izmit Mine Pier, and the body was put on the White Train, which he used during his country tours when he was alive, and is currently preserved at the Ankara Station Building, and was transported to the Ankara Station.

Today, the gun cart is preserved in the Peace Tower of Anıtkabir, II. He was transferred to the Ethnography Museum in front of the Turkish Grand National Assembly and then to the Ethnography Museum with a state ceremony and was buried in the place reserved for him in the Museum on 21 November 1938.

Atatürk’s body remained here for 15 years, meanwhile, as a symbol of his loyalty to him, the Turkish nation prepared a mausoleum – Anıtkabir – on the hill called Rasattepe, based on the word “There will be a very beautiful mausoleum here”. Mausoleum; It consists of the Monument Block and the Peace Park.

When you enter through the Tandoğan Gate, there are 24 lion statues representing the 24 Oghuz tribes on both sides of the road that leads to the Mausoleum by walking through the Peace Park. The floor and walls of the Hall of Fame are covered with colored marbles. The flat ceiling is decorated with mosaics of carpet and rug patterns from the 16th and 17th centuries. Atatürk’s symbolic sarcophagus, made of a single piece of red marble, is plain.

The Burial Chamber is located under the Hall of Fame. There are 10 towers in Anıtkabir, each of which deals with different subjects and are placed symmetrically from the entrance, namely Istiklal, Hürriyet, Mehmetçik, Zafer, Barış, 23 Nisan, Misak-ı Milli, İnkılâp, Cumhuriyet and Müdafaa-i Hukuk. The Museum, which is entered through the door of the Misak-ı Milli tower, was opened on 21 June 1960 under the name of Anıtkabir Atatürk Museum. As of August 26, 2020, the museum has been renamed Atatürk and the War of Independence Museum.

Exit mobile version